250 P5 Concept, 1968 (Red Line, limited 87/1000)
Designed by Pininfarina in 1968, the Ferrari P5 was first shown at the 1968 Geneva Motorshow. The P5 won immediate acclaim for its futuristic design, even if some Ferrari purists grumbled at its perceived departure from Ferrari design orthodoxy. Built on P4 chassis number 0862, the two-seat coupe featured a three-litre V12 engine mounted in its tail. A walk around the brilliant white car (later repainted red) revealed a design composed of intersecting convex and concave volume.
The design featured a low, concave front fascia with a narrow slot for ventilation for the radiator. Just above this, integrated into the hood, was a bank of headlamps. Flanking this front assembly were pontoon-like fairings for the front wheels. The upper body was almost entirely formed of a transparent teardrop canopy, its gullwing doors revealing a spartan composition of two seats, driving controls and little else. Seats were minimally ergonomic and the headrests are built into the firewall that separates the cabin from the engine compartment.
The car was a study in aerodynamics and design and it helped influence later day production Ferrari’s, most notably the clear rear glass over the engine.
Футуристический концепт с трёхлитровым двигателем V12 в первую очередь был предназначен для аэродинамических исследований. Критиками и специалистами машина была принята плохо - такой стиль стал популярен лишь десятью годами позже.